Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sherman Alexie's THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN

First impression, with more to come later...

As I read the first pages, I wished the depiction of Native life wasn't so bleak. It feeds stereotypical notions of the tragic victim. For that reason, many will keep reading, because it feels familiar to them, and in that save-the-Indian way some adopt, it nourishes that impulse.

I hung in there because Alexie is a gifted writer, and before much longer, the depth and beauty of Native lives and life on the reservation began to shine through.

I'll write more later, but definitely, a book worth reading and sharing, with teens and adults.

1 comment:

califmom said...

I'm reading this book with my son right now. Haven't finished yet -- just a couple chapters to go. I have to say, I don't want it to end. I love Sherman Alexie's writing, in general, and his foray into young adult literature is a welcome addition to a segment of literature that is often redundant in subject and style.